Long-Term Volunteer Positions
Are you travelling throughout Guatemala or Central America and looking for a unique and special volunteering opportunity to delve into? Do you love kids? Speak Spanish?
Project Somos might just be a fit!
To provide continuity for the children and our staff, Project Somos welcomes long-term volunteers for a minimum stay of six weeks. Volunteers engage in a variety of meaningful work, depending on the necessities at the time. We look for volunteers who can be super flexible and assist where needed.
We treat our volunteer positions like jobs and have the following requirements:
- Intermediate level Spanish.
- Thirty hours of work each week.
- A cover letter stating why you believe you would be a good candidate to volunteer.
- A resume with your experience and references.
- A Criminal Record Check.
- A video interview prior to booking your stay to ensure compatibility.
- Liability insurance fee of $100 and a small monthly charge for cooking fuel.
Meals are not included. Volunteers purchase and prepare their own food. Food shopping and preparation is often done communally amongst the volunteers.
Accommodations are provided in a beautiful three bedroom, two bathroom home, specifically for long-term volunteers. We provide bedding, a towel, potable water, internet access and fresh organic veggies from our garden (based on availability). The rooms fit up to three volunteers but generally we try to stagger our volunteer stays so there are only one or two in a bedroom.
Here is a list of the type of work we need from our long-term volunteers:
- English Language Conversation: English is a valuable skill which significantly increases employment opportunities for Guatemalans. Fun and engaging teaching is encouraged, with an emphasis on games, songs and basic conversation for the children. We have a selection of books and many other learning materials available. Qualified ESL teachers are welcome, we also accept volunteers who have experience of working with young people and an enthusiasm for teaching English.
- Farm to Table: Part of our programming includes a hands-on farm to table program which includes growing, cooking and teaching about food and nutrition. This includes working in the field, with our local workers, and with our Guatemalan cooks in the kitchen. It can include teaching preservation of food and storage, cooking and nutrition classes with the children, baking, as well as creating recipes that utilize our seasonal crops. It is preferable that volunteers have some experience of gardening or organic farming, and that they understand the importance of healthy eating.
- Fundraising & Administrative Support: Have experience fundraising? Super comfortable with computer and online work? We could use your help! As a non-profit working to reach as many children and families as possible, we could use your expertise in increasing our annual income and outreach. Let us know if you fit this criteria and we’d love to talk
- General Volunteer: Willing to do what’s needed in the moment? We can always use multi-talented volunteers to step up and help with what’s current and urgent. It could be painting, cooking, soccer coaching, chess-playing, simple construction, weeding, helping with a fundraising campaign, online research, donor stewardship… you name it! If you’re awesome, flexible and capable, drop us a line! Let’s talk!
- Preschool Helpers: Our preschool is the only one in the vicinity and we have children 3, 4 and 5 year olds who are eager to play and learn. We look for volunteers to assist our amazing preschool teacher in the classroom. Got youthful energy and a love for kids? Drop us a line!
Please send a letter stating why you think you would be a good fit to volunteer at Project Somos to volunteerabroad[at]projectsomos.org.
Have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
Drop us a line to learn more!